Cal Poly Unveils New Dining Options Across Campus
SAN LUIS OBISPO — This fall Cal Poly students and staff will have a number of new dining options available with a variety of fresh meals to power their day.
Renovations to Campus Dining facilities, including an update to two venues in The Avenue and a reboot of the former 19 Metro, took place throughout the summer resulting in seven new restaurants as well as numerous upgraded and improved menus at established locations.
Venues throughout campus now offer a wide variety of options from Sambazon organic acai bowls and power kale salads, to craft burgers and breakfast burritos to go.
This has all been done in line with Campus Dining’s effort to lessen the campus’ environmental impact through programs, products and services that reduce Cal Poly’s “foodprint.”
Additionally, a registered dietitian is available to work with students and dining staff to accommodate dietary restrictions, develop educational programs and improve overall student health.
The following are some of the new venues and offerings on campus.
- 805 Kitchen – Campus Dining’s all-you-care-to-eat venue received a makeover this summer from its dining room to its menu. The new venue will feature a variety of eclectic cuisines including sustainable eats, Mediterranean fare and an action station where meals are prepared in front of the customer. Even with the upgrade, 805 Kitchen still boasts the best value on campus.
- 805 Café – Located in the atrium of 805 Kitchen, 805 Café offers a variety of Poly Fresh on-the-go salads, sandwiches and pastries as well as Seattle’s Best coffee and an assortment of aromatic teas, organic Sambazon Acai Bowls, Whalebird Kombucha and a freezer filled with tasty ice cream.
- Canyon Café – This modern diner features local ingredients and homemade recipes for everything from breakfast burritos or burgers, to a side of crispy onion rings. Located in Poly Canyon Village this is a great place to gather with friends and grab a bite.
- Poly Deli – The campus’ new sandwich shop is located in the heart of campus in the lower University Union Plaza, and features breakfast sandwiches served all day and artisan-crafted creations made with fresh baked bread from a local bakery.
- Student Choice – New for 2017-18, Student Choice brings excitement and variety to Cal Poly dining. Twice a quarter, Campus Dining will survey students, and its chefs will design a menu featuring the favorite fare at this new venue located in The Avenue. This fall, Student Choice will feature Thai noodle bowls with a selection of Asian noodles, flavorful protein (meat or plant based) and delicious, homemade Thai Tom Kha Gai broth.
- Shake Smart – New to Cal Poly, Shake Smart offers freshly blended protein shakes, organic acai bowls and all-natural sandwiches. Started by two college students who found it difficult to find healthy options while living an on-the-go lifestyle, Shake Smart makes healthy eating more accessible. The new Shake Smart is located outside the Recreation Center.
- Tu Taco – Build your own burrito from a variety of fresh, flavorful ingredients, or simply order your favorite tacos from the menu. They make the perfect pairing for a quick lunch, tasty dinner or late-night snack.
About Cal Poly
Founded in 1901 and part of the renowned California State University system since 1960, Cal Poly is a nationally ranked, four-year, comprehensive polytechnic public university located in San Luis Obispo, Calif. Known for its Learn by Doing approach, small class sizes and open access to expert faculty, Cal Poly is a distinctive learning community whose 21,000 academically motivated students enjoy an unrivaled hands-on educational experience that prepares them to lead successful personal and professional lives. For more information, visit www.calpoly.edu.
About Cal Poly Corporation
Cal Poly Corporation is the non-profit auxiliary organization to Cal Poly, providing self-supporting, innovative, and high-quality services to the university and assisting the institution in achieving its educational mission. For additional information, visit www.calpolycorporation.org or call 805-756-1451.
email [email protected]