Congratulations on your new appointment!
The following “New Hire” paperwork must be completed correctly and returned to our Human Resources office on time in order for you to be paid:
- Payroll Information Form – You complete Section 1 and sign below. Your supervisor completes all other required information (Action, Position title, Org Key, Account Number, W/C Code, Effective Date, End Date and Pay Rate) and obtains any additional signatures (i.e. Sponsored Programs/Conference Services). Double-check to make sure the Payroll Information Form is complete; any incomplete information may delay the hire process.
- W-4 – You complete this form. If it is not submitted or is completed incorrectly, the default is Single-0. If you claim exempt, you must complete a new W-4 form every year in January.
- Application for Student/Intermittent Employment – You complete highlighted items on both sides. (If you are Cal Poly faculty member, you do not need to complete this form.)
- I-9 – You complete Section 1 and provide original documentation for employment. Typical documents are either a) a passport OR b) a Driver’s License AND a Social Security Card. See the back of the I-9 for more options. Note, you must provide original documentation within 3 days of your employment or you may not work until the documentation is provided.
Your packet also includes the following documents:
- Timecard – Read the bottom of the timecard carefully. You will enter your hours, the org key/object code you are being paid under, the pay period ending date, your name and Social Security number. Both you and your supervisor must sign the timecard. If the timecard is incomplete or does not have the required signatures, you may not be paid on time. After two pay periods, timecards will be preprinted, however, if you fail to submit a timecard, then the system will not generate a preprinted timecard and you will have to write the information on a blank timecard. Remember to complete your timecard in ink; do not use pencil. Falsification of a timecard will result in immediate termination. Checks will be available every other Friday at the Cashier’s Office in Building 15 from 10:30 a.m. until 4:55 p.m. On non-pay days, paychecks may be picked up Monday through Friday, 8 am to 4:55 pm. Remember to bring a picture ID such as a Driver’s license or Cal Poly ID.
- Pay Period Dates – Make sure you follow the payroll deadlines to ensure you will be paid on time. Timecards may be brought to Payroll or inserted in the box labeled “Timecards” outside of Building 15.
- Management Guidelines on Drug and Alcohol Abuse and Prevention – Read carefully.
- Procedures for Resolving Sexual Harassment Complaints – Read this information on Sexual Harassment carefully. Sexual Harassment is not tolerated.
Work Hour Restrictions
Note, most Cal Poly students are limited to working no more than 35 hours per week during the quarter. Exceptions are foreign students; they may work no more than 20 hours per week. Cal Poly faculty and staff are limited to working no more than 125% between both employers.