These recruitment procedures are for benefited positions only; non-benefited positions are recruited by the individual departments. Before recruiting for a benefited employee, it must be determined that there is funding for at least one year. A fully-benefited position will add ~60 percent to the salary cost.
All regular-benefited positions are advertised and viewed online at www.calpolycorporationjobs.org. Please read through these procedures carefully, prepare the documents requested, and submit them to the Cal Poly Corporation Human Resources. Funding for the position must be in a Cal Poly Corporation held account (not a Foundation account). If the position will be performing duties for State functions versus Cal Poly Corporation functions, then the position should be hired via the State. Cal Poly Corporation does not sponsor work authorization/visas.
Instructions for submitting recruitment paperwork to Human Resources
- If this is a new position, develop a position description and discuss it with the Human Resources to determine the appropriate salary grade. Follow the format in “Creating a Job Description – template.” If this is a current position, please review the position description and update it, if necessary.
- Assemble a Screening Committee consisting of at least three members who are familiar with the requirements of the position (committee should be diverse); designate the Committee Chair who should assign roles and keep the process moving. The department is responsible for scheduling interviews with selected candidates.
- Determine where you want to advertise the position. All regular-benefited position vacancies will be advertised in Cal Jobs and on our website at www.calpolycorporationjobs.org. Human Resources will also advertise the positions in any other publications or websites you designate. All advertising costs and travel reimbursements are borne by the recruiting department. Closing or review dates will be set at a minimum of two weeks (three weeks for exempt positions) after the position is posted or at the time the department requests beyond the minimum posting requirements.
- Compile a list of questions for the interview which provide candidates the opportunity to show their job related skills and experience. All questions should comply with federal and state regulations which ensure diverse, inclusive, and fair hiring practices. All questions should be related to the job, and the number of questions should depend on the length of the scheduled interview. Human Resources can provide behavioral based question upon request.
- Complete and sign the Requisition for Recruitment of Personnel form.
- Submit your position description and requisition to Human Resources. All paperwork should be signed and approved before submission to Human Resources, including department heads and grant/financial analysts.
- Work with Human Resources to notate Job Description changes to the changes are reflected in the posting and on all advertising.
Instructions for screening applications, interviewing and selecting a successful candidate
- Screen applications. The Screening Committee Chair and its members will receive a username and password to view the applications 24/7 as well as instructions for navigating the Cal Poly Corporation Jobs website. They will have access to viewing all the applicants for the recruitment by logging on to www.calpolycorporationjobs.org/hr/. Committee members will also be able to export results to an Excel spreadsheet which includes applicant names and type in reasons for non-selection.
listof applicants you wish to interview. Once you have reviewed the applications, meet with the members of your Screening Committee, and decide who you want to interview. Please submit this list to Human Resources for approval BEFORE you schedule any interviews. Note: CPC strongly believes in promoting from within, therefore all regular CPC employees who meet the minimum requirements should be interviewed.
- Finalize the list of questions to ask applicants during the interview. Discuss with screening committee who will ask each question during the interview.
- Schedule interviews. Email each selected applicant with the date, time, and location of the interview, a map (https://maps.calpoly.edu/), a contact name/phone number (someone who will be available if you are in an interview location and not at your desk) and clear instructions on how to get to the interview location. Be sure to tell the applicant to purchase a daily parking permit. The Department may also purchase a Sponsored Guest permit for the applicant by submitting a request to the Visitor Information Center via email at [email protected] to be picked up at the kiosk on Grand Avenue. Contact Parking Services for assistance.
- Interview applicants. Evaluate applicants using pre-established job-related criteria. Use consistent methods of interview question/answer record keeping which needs to be retained for up to 4 years. The department may schedule multiple levels of interviews as long as they are consistent for all candidates progressing to the next step. Some positions may require a final interview with the CEO.
- Create a log of applicants and type in remarks. If you have not already exported the spreadsheet of the names of applicants, please do so now. Log into www.calpolycorporationjobs.org/hr. Above the complete list of applicants and to the right, click on Actions, click on Export Results, click on Open. This will create an Excel report which will include the applicant names, the status, when they applied, etc. You will add columns or edit the spreadsheet to type in the reasons for non-selection/selection for Affirmative Action reporting requirements; please also indicate whether they were interviewed or not. It is helpful to update the Excel spreadsheet to have the following titles: Full Name, Application Date, Interviewed (Y/N), Reasons for Non-Selection. All other columns may be deleted. At the bottom of the report, please type in the name of the recruitment, the date, and the Hiring Manager/Screen Committee Chair’s name. Please be as specific as possible in the remarks, indicating education, experience, knowledge, skills and/or abilities that the applicant is lacking compared to the selected candidate. The basis for these “remarks” should be based only on the applicant’s work history, education, experience, training, knowledge, skills or any combination of these factors.
- Select final candidate and contact at least three references. Review the Reference Checking Procedures before you contact the references. Complete the references and include them in the packet below. When checking references, we recommend that hiring managers contact previous supervisors.
- Complete the Recommendation for Employment Selection. Hiring rates should be commensurate with the level of experience of the candidate with internal equity taken into consideration. Please ensure this form is signed and included in the packet below.
- After interviewing and selecting the final candidate, submit the Recommendation Packet to Human Resources with the following documents enclosed:
- Justification Memo – This department memo is a narrative overview of the process and the documents enclosed in the Recommendation Packet for each approver’s knowledge. It should include general information about the posting, interviewing, and selection process, who was involved, and why the finalist was ultimately selected.
- Recommendation for Employment Selection form
Acopy of selected final candidate’s application
- Reference Check comments
- Spreadsheet/Log listing all applicants and reasons for selection/non-selection
- Human Resources will review your recommendation and request additional information if needed. If approved, HR will notify the hiring manager to contact the selected candidate to make the contingent offer. Once accepted, HR will send the candidate the request for a background check. If the background check is acceptable, Human Resources will contact you to finalize the offer to the candidate.
- Notify Human Resources that you have talked to the successful candidate and have confirmed a start date and salary. HR will generate the confirmation letter to send to the candidate for signature. If the employee is currently working for Cal Poly Corporation, then the regular-benefited appointment must begin at the beginning of the following pay period.
Keep in mind that any information related to the recruitment process must be kept confidential by all members of the screening committee. If you have any questions about the recruitment process, please contact Human Resources at extension 6-6446 or email [email protected].